UTC@Harbourside will be closing on July 5thwhen the exams have finished.

Firstly, THANK YOU! We would like to thank you for all your help and support over the past year, and for having the confidence in the UTC to complete the courses for your son or daughter.

We hope the following questions and answers will be able to answer any final questions you have about our closure.

When does my child stop coming to the UTC?

UTC students are currently completing coursework or final exams for their qualifications. All scheduled exams are due to complete by the 20thof June, although students and parents should be aware that the 26thof June has been put aside in case there is in a national disruption of exams.

Once students have completed all outstanding engineering coursework and external exams they will no longer be required to attend UTC. The building will be closed to students from the 5thJuly.

When should my child collect their results?

  • Year 13
    • Thursday 15thAugust
    • Results will be emailed to those students who have registered personal email addresses with the school by 8am
    • The college will be open from 10am to 12pm to provide exam results and offer advice to all students.
    • Advice is also available on the day by email or by phone 07387591873
  • Year 11
    • Thursday 22ndAugust
    • The college will be open from 10am to 12pm to provide exam results and offer advice to all students
    • Advice is also available on the day by email or by phone 07387591873

If any student has any difficulties in attending to collect results they should contact Mr Pomery on the email address above who will arrange a suitable alternative.

What if my child needs a remark?

During the morning and afternoon of each exam result day we will be contacting students by email regarding any remarking queries. Students may be eligible to remark if they are within 3 marks of the next grade boundary.

In this instance we will require signed authorisation by the student to allow the remark to be submitted. This can be done either at the UTC or by email with a scan/photo of the signed document returned by email. Due to the college closure all remarks are planned to be submitted on exam results day.

Remark submissions can take up to 6 weeks, we will contact you as soon as we have any information.

Where will exam certificates be sent?

Exam certificates will be distributed by Brighton Aldridge Community Academy and should be with all students by early November.

Will my child be able to get a reference/certificate of attendance? Where are my child’s school records held?

All students will have a reference/certificate of attendance from the UTC in their student file. From September, each student’s file will be held by East Sussex County Council in secure storage, in accordance with the legal requirements. Colleges where your son or daughter will be attending from September will receive their information as soon as their new institutions request them.

From September, if you would like access to your student file you can make a Subject Access Request (SAR) via East Sussex County Council’s website here – https://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/yourcouncil/about/keydocuments/foi/dataprotection/form/. You will need to provide two pieces of identification to prove who you are (scans/photocopies of original documents are acceptable).

Please be aware that if a child is aged 13 years or older, parents will only be given access to their child’s file if they can provide proof they have permission from their child to request the information on their behalf.

Have all staff secured alternative jobs?

We have been heartened that people have been concerned about the future of the staff.

We are pleased to say that all staff have new arrangements in place for September, and we continue to support the remaining few.

What will happen to the building?

The building will be handed over to the Department for Education in July. They are working with local partners to ensure that the buildings continue to be used for education purposes.

Can I keep books and equipment from the UTC?

All the UTC’s property belongs to the Department for Education. They will reallocate our teaching resources as appropriate, so please ensure that you bring any UTC property back to us after your final exam.

Can I contact the school if I have other questions?

To contact the college over the summer holidays you should use enquiries@utc-harbourside.org this address will continue to be monitored and will ensure your query is dealt with.