Student Professional Dress Code
Please click here for the price list and order details.
We expect equally high standards for all our staff and students in all areas of UTC life. Our staff dress code will mirror the student dress code.
Our uniform/dress code for students consists of a clothing element, together with our overall expectations in terms of personal appearance. Our rationale for the uniform/dress code is very challenging to meet and is as follows:
- It must recognise that the ethos of the UTC places high expectations on our students and that, as an institution with a focus on progression to other demanding and professional settings, employers will apply certain expectations in terms of clothing and appearance which we need to prepare our students for as part of daily life at the UTC.
- It must be smart, practical and suitable for a range of technical and business environments.
- It must be of good quality, but reasonable in terms of costs to parents.
- It must ensure that students are identifiable outside the UTC, including during daily travel to/from the UTC and when representing the UTC in an off-site activity, and are a credit to the UTC at all times when so identifiable.
- It must ensure that students in different year groups, or holding positions of responsibility, can be uniquely identifiable (by colour coded lanyards).
The uniform/dress code requirements will apply at all times on-site and for all off-site activities unless otherwise instructed. The main exceptions will be as follows:
- For certain technical and engineering activities, personal protective equipment (PPE) will be required to be worn.
- For physical education the clothing requirements will be determined by the nature of the activity. This will be made clear well before the activity takes place.
Coats: All students will be expected to bring/wear a coat depending on weather conditions.
Bags: All students will be expected to bring books, equipment, or PE gear in a suitable waterproof bag. It is recommended that these should be of a size that can fit into our lockers.
Coats and bags must not display text/images that could be considered offensive by others.
Mobile phones, laptops and other electronic devices or high value items, are to be brought to the UTC at students’ own risk. The UTC will accept no responsibility for loss or damage to such equipment.
|Key Stage 4||Girls||Boys||Note|
|Upper body||Collared long sleeved shirt with UTC logo||Collared long sleeved shirt with UTC logo||No alternatives acceptable|
|Short sleeve version of UTC shirt available in summer||Short sleeve version of UTC shirt available in summer|
|Elite blazer||Elite blazer|
|Henbury V neck sweater with UTC logo||Henbury V-neck sweater with UTC logo|
|UTC identity lanyard to be worn at all time unless advised by a member of staff|
|Lower body||Elite suit trouser||Elite suit trouser||No lycra, leggings, corduroy, denim, sweatshirt or jean style cotton material|
|Knee length Luton skirt|
|Footwear||Leather upper, or similar single colour black or grey shoes||No open-toe footwear. No heels over 1 inch. No trainer type|
|Key Stage 5||Girls||Boys||Note|
|Upper body||Collared long/short sleeved blouse/shirt or other collared top||Collared long/short sleeved blouse/shirt or other collared top||No alternatives acceptable|
|UTC identity lanyard to be worn at all times unless advised by a member of staff|
|Lower body||Tailored full length trousers||Tailored full length trousers||No lycra, leggings, corduroy, denim, sweatshirt or jean style cotton material|
|Shirt knee length, or longer skirt|
|Dress knee length or longer sleeveless/short sleeved dress|
|Footwear||Leather upper, or similar single colour shoes||No open-toe footwear. No heels over 1 inch, No trainer type|
|Upper body||Polo shirt with UTC logo||Polo Shirt with UTC logo||No alternatives accepted|
|Half-zip top with UTC logo||Half-zip top with UTC logo|
|Lower body||Shorts, skirt, or tracksuit bottoms, as appropriate||Shorts, or tracksuit bottoms, as appropriate|
|Footwear||These must be suitable for the activity as specified by the teacher responsible||No school shoes will be permitted to be worn|
Personal adornment of all descriptions should be kept to a minimum to reflect the professional, business-like ethos of the UTC.
- Hair should be neat and tidy and should be appropriately styled as for a professional workplace.
- Headgear worn for religious purposes is permitted but must be plain with no patterns. Facial coverings for religious reasons should be removed whilst at the UTC to ensure individuals are identifiable.
- No excessive make-up to be worn. Nail varnish is not permitted. Acrylic false nails are not allowed due to health and safety reasons.
- One pair of small stud size earrings only may be worn in the ears taking into account health and safety requirements.
- No other jewelry should be worn and no body piercings or tattoos should be visible, with the exception of religious requirements.The Principal will take the final decision regarding the suitability of clothing and appearance. In serious cases where in the opinion of the Principal, a student’s appearance is unacceptable, the student may be withdrawn from lessons, or in the case of a sixth form student required to return home to change. If a student is required to return home, the parent will be informed of the situation prior to the student leaving the site.
Students and parents are requested to ask if unsure of any aspects of the dress code.